Sunday, March 11, 2007

Introduction

Though I'm sure this isn't the only blog on the web about migrating mySQL to other databases, I'm starting this one to hopefully spread some knowledge about the process of porting a mySQL database and the application using it to Microsoft SQL 2005.

It wasn't my decision to port this. In my opinion its uneccessary, but as many in the non-software industry know - with IT its not about "If it ain't broke, dont fix it" - its about who is selling to the CIO and stressing to them the importance of developing a 10yr IT plan - the same 10yr plan that changes every 2 years! Its no wonder the Micro$oft salesperson didn't leave any room for mySQL in the 10yr plan!

Anyway, enough ranting - I'm actually excited because its a chance for me to do my own comparison of what seems to be THE TWO most popular and most argumented about alternatives for "getting things done".

So, stay tuned, the development box is coming this week and I'll be putting up my first impressions, pitfalls, things that are cool. Remember - its not about DB loyalty - its about getting the job done quickly and accurately.

Cheers,

Ross

No comments: